Wednesday, November 16, 2022

48. Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg (1964?)




1. Mean Woman Blues*

2. High School Confidential

3. Money (That's What I Want)

4. Matchbox

5. What's I Say,Part 1

6. What'd I Say, Part 2

7. Great Balls of Fire

8. Good Golly, Miss Molly

9. Lewis Boogie

10. Your Cheatin' Heart

11. Hound Dog*

12. Long Tall Sally

13. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On*


C+


So I tried to like this album, I honestly did. But let's just face it - it's kind of shit. I know people love to go on about the wild men of rock, unhinged energy and all that shit, but you know what's better than all that crap - a decent groove. This album is a rhythmless mess. Yes, Lewis is a dynamite piano player, and he redefined the instrument and brought new levels of showmanship to rock. But as a vocalist he's just fucking annoying, and frankly it would be nice if he could lock in with his band more (on the songs where he actually manages this the album manages to approach something good). The overall impression I got from this album is of someone who really wanted to be Little Richard but lacked the vocal chops, so he compensated by acting like a fucking lunatic.

Add to this the fact that the album sounds like it was recorded through a cardboard box, and the deeply unsavoury revelations about Lewis' personal life, and the whole result was something I found pretty annoying. I did listen to it twice, just to be fair - the first time sober and the second time (as it seemed warranted, given the material) with a few drinks under my belt. And honestly, if I was an immature fuckhead obsessed with the rawness and wildness of rock instead of, you know, actual fucking songs, and if I was trashed, I probably would have enjoyed this a lot more. It's definitely music for drinking to.

The biggest problem is just that this album takes off at a roar and never really develops. It's basically like listening to one long, loud, fatuous song. The lyrics are moronic, the backing band are almost inaudible and frankly not that great, and the whole thing just left me feeling bored. Not pissed off. Not scandalised. Not any of the things an album like this was probably aiming for. Just bored. 

I do like piano-led rock, mind. I loved Here's Little Richard. I loved the first Dresden Dolls album (although it helps that Brian Viglione is a fucking incredible drummer, and that Amanda Palmer has a voice like a sexy Satan). I even, god help me, like Elton John. But this album is everything I hate about rock & roll - a view where nothing matters but rawness, wildness, and sticking it to the man. You know who the man is? The man is the guy who has to come in after you leave and clean up all the broken bottles and vomit. That is the man you are sticking it to, nine times out of ten.

Anyway, I can see why people like this album. I just don't get it, I guess. I don't think I've ever really liked Jerry Lee Lewis, even as a kid. I'm really on the fence about the whole '50s rock and roll thing to begin with. Oh well. Honestly it's kind of nice to be able to give my first unequivocally bad review. I was kind of worried I'd like everything on the list and then what's the point? I could have just posted a single post that read "All these albums are good and you should buy them".

However, just in the interest in fairness, from Wikipedia:

[[In 1998, Mojo included Live at the Star Club on their list of the best 20 live albums of all time.[10] In 2003 the Digital Dream Door included the album at number 4 on their list of the greatest live albums of all time.[11] In 2011, Goldmine included Live at the Star Club on their list of the best 13 live albums of all time.[12] In 2015 the NME included the album at number 34 on their list of the greatest live albums of all time.[13] Also in 2015, Rolling Stone included the album at number 16 on their list.[14] In 2020, The Telegraph included it at number 2 on their list of the best live albums of all time.[15] Also in 2020, The Independent included it at number 4 on their list of the greatest live albums of all time.]]

So your mileage may vary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

145. The Who - Tommy (May 1969)

1. Overture 2. It's a Boy 3. 1921 4. Amazing Journey 5. Sparks 6. The Hawker 7. Christmas * 8. Cousin Kevin 9. The Acid Queen 10. ...